In a message dated 11/25/2001 1:09:53 AM Eastern Standard Time,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

> dale:
>  i was baffled  when the 3.70 gears showed up. i had always seen 3.73
listed
>  and to be quite frank had never seen 3.70 or 3.07 listed before. oh well
>  another of gm's great mysterys.there isn't a day goes by that i don't
learn
>  something new about CHEVELLES. i also noticed the list for 1967s on team
>  chevelle didn't have the 2.73 ratio listed. i wonder why there were so
many
>  ratios so close?
>
> Larry

Probably to get just the 'right' total torque multiplication ratio given the
particular equipment used with the vehicle.  Total torque ratio = rear end
ratio * tranny ratio.  But as you said Larry, it is hard to believe that in
this case that the .03 difference (3.73 to 3.70) would make much of a
difference.  Check out the packet from the GM customer info center.  There is
some good info under Power Team Combinations with a matrix of engine, tranny,
induction equipment and axle ratio.  The chart is a little ambiguous, and
lists an overdrive application (what overdrive???), but clearly shows the
3.73 ratio used for Chevelle SS applications.  For the 66 model year, it
shows the 3.70 gears only being used in small block applications.  The chart
also shows the 3.73's were standard on the L34 (360HP) w/ M35 (powerglide)
cars, while A/C cars got the 3.07 ratio.  Most of the 66 SS's that I have
seen around here had the 3.73's in them, all though a couple had the 4.10's.
BTW, all that I looked at were non A/C cars.  I would bet very similar
Powertrain combos were available for the 67 model year.