Hey Cliff,  I picked up a 3.5" NASCAR exhaust system, mostly for the long flat side
exhast tips.  With the tubbed rear, I don't have room to run exhaust clear to the
rear bumper.   bummer....

Anyway, the exhaust tips look great!  See them at
http://www.ProStreetCar.com/custom_exhaust.html  The pics aren't great, but you'll
get the idea.

So, since I had a complete system, I thought I should use it.  And I figured with
one of their quietest mufflers, I'd be ok.  Another lesson for the books.    I'll be
switching to 3" pipes to the muffler, and 2.5" out.

You're right, no performance reason for 3.5" pipes.  It's just that I already had
them.  I'll just move them over to the Camaro (drag car)

In the Chevelle, I have a 468 BB, "049" heads, 2.19/1.88 valves, mild port, 10.2:1,
.653" roller, etc.  DesktopDyno claims 550hp/550ft lbs.

Clifford E Klimas wrote:

> Replies to this message are sent to The Chevelle Mailing List
>
> Hey Mike -
>      3.5" exhaust all the way back?  No wonder they are loud!  With that pipe
> diameter (and a healthy motor) just about any muffler is going to be loud.
> Before I went with my current full 3" system on my Chevelle, I had 3" headpipes
> and 2.5" tailpipes, and I was told that changing to 3" tailpipes with the same
> mufflers would result in a significant increase in volume and resonation.  So,
> since I didn't like the mufflers I had on there anyway (Flowmaster 30 series), I
> went with the full 3" system and the big block 70 series mufflers (quietest ones
> they make).  Good thing I did because I can only expect the exhaust to get
> louder and resonate more with my new 427 SBC.  What kind of motor do you have in
> there that you need a 3.5" system, anyway?  A 3" system should be more than
> enough for most street engines <grin>.
>
> Cliff Klimas     Hamilton, NJ
> '71 Chevelle (new 500+hp 427 SBC project ongoing)
> '88 CSC (daily driver and cruiser)
>
> > I bought 2 of Spintech's 2nd to quietest muffler.  Put them onto 3.5"
> > exhaust, and it's incredibly loud!  Louder than my SBC race car with 3" open
> > exhaust.   The Spintech rep insists that if I use 3" tubing, with 2.5"
> > exiting the mufflers, it will be MUCH quieter.    He even offereed to modify
> > the mufflers for free, to accomodate the 3" inlet and 2.5" outlet.

  Check out my webpage at http://www.ProStreetCar.com
  and my For Sale page at http://www.ProStreetCar.com/classifieds.html
  Team Chevelle membership #178 (Gold)
  Time Flies: "It's funny how you can watch a clock and time seems to
  stand still.  But turn away, and you have to measure time with a
  calendar rather than a clock."  mjp