Just a WAG here, but I wonder if it's possible:

Since hotter plugs retain more heat than colder plugs,
perhaps the extra heat is helping to keep the electrodes
cleaner (deposits burned off), and this allows the
weaker spark to work well enough.

But as others have said, though, sending the proper
voltage to the coil is the right thing to do.  Since
today's Thursday you'll have a recap of the conversion
on Monday, right?  ;^)

Keith Cooper wrote:
> My 1971 Chevelle was converted to HEI a couple of years ago. The car runs good.
> I am still using the resistor wire that was connected to the old external coil.
> The car seems to run best using spark plugs that are two heat range higher than
> stock. I have always been told that colder plugs are better, but my car like
> hotter plugs. Is this because I am still run the HEI with the old resistor
> wire?????

Brad O.