VIN tells if it is a real SS or not in 68, so I would consider it a clone.  My 70 is actually  a 350 malibu.  However, you cannot tell that is not an SS.  I put almost every piece that came on an LS6 on this car.  I just wish that GM had continued to put the fact that 69-72 cars were SS or not in the VIN somewhere.  It seems every car out there is an SS anymore, at least for my year anyway.
You guys won't believe that someone has the audacity to do this but, there is a collector car dealer up here locally.  He takes LeMans and Malibus, repaints them and sells them as a GTO or an SS chevelle.  I went to check out a ragtop 70 SS396 at his lot.  It turned out to be a plain as day fake.

Tom