the engine id tag on my 69 350 and 69 307 are behind the altenator.  I had the 350 machined and now its lost forever.  The casting number will tell what car or cars ot came out of.  I can look it up in the book I have here.  I don't plan on doing anything to the 307 out of the 69 chevelle before i put it back in except a valve job, timing chain, and maybe rering it.  It has a 106,000 miles and ran very smooth when i took it out.  It never fouled any plugs the whole time I had it.  It even has the original water pump on it.

Tom