You can buy either  an auto trans shield, or a blanket.  The blankets are cheaper, but hold in a lot of heat.
The trans shield is a PIA sometimes, but would/should contain an explosion for you.  at least from coming thru the floor.
Look in your Summit or Jegs catalog, or online at www.jegs.com

I put one on my PG in my 67 Camaro, and it required a little surgery to the floor to get it to fit in.

They're a good idea, and a safety item is rarely a wasted investment.  However, I would doubt that a street car with limited traction would be a major risk.   Certainly if you  were racing it, with a high stall, trans brake, slicks, etc, then you would definately want one.

Let's see what the others say....

Clifford E Klimas wrote:

Hey List -
      How about those of us running auto trannys with higher hp combos?  My '71 has an internally-beefed TH400 (stock case and bellhousing with a cast aluminum deep pan), and my new 427 SBC should be making at least 500 hp and tq.  Would an aftermarket bellhousing (is that the right term for an auto trans?) be a good idea for my application?  Any other strengthening mods I can do now while the motor is out of the car?  I already have the safety-interlock polyurethane engine and trans mounts.  Keep in mind that my car is street driven only and is very traction limited.  TIA.

Cliff Klimas     Hamilton, NJ
'71 Chevelle (427 SBC project slugging along)
'88 CSC (just ordered BMR Fab. rear control arms)

If you like wiggling your toes (look at Big Daddy), you Gotta go with the Blow proof if you're running a big block with any sort of testoterone in it. More so if you have a after market pressure plate. I'm running a 10.5-1 454, Lakewood blow proof, RAM 11' 6 fingered brass puck clutch disk (unsprung) and matching RAM pressure plate (3400lbs), against a Super T-10. So far, lots of full thottle clutch dumps and shifts...ahem, I keep several U-joints in the glove box along with straps and bolts.....

--
  Check out my webpage at http://www.ProStreetCar.com
  and my For Sale page at http://www.ProStreetCar.com/classifieds.html