At 04:54 PM 01/21/2002, you wrote:
I think what's happening is Outlook is returning/replying to mail in the same format it arrived it.  Your new mail is sent by whatever means you have set as the default.  For example, this is being replied to via HTML format because that's the way it came in.  New mail I send is sent in Plain Text.  Depending on the version of Outlook you have, the exact sequence may be different but on mine go to Tools > Options and select the Mail Format tab.  You (I) can choose between Plain Text, HTML, or MS Outlook Rich Text.  I happen to select Plain Text as some readers on the list are using email programs that don't like "Rich Text" and/or HTML - it gives them extra coding in the message that either their email program can't decode or simply adds garbage to the message.  I can change format of any received file before I sent it if there's a feature I really need and I know the recipient can handle it.

I use Outlook 2000 and I always get a signature block (again, it's set in my Options to use the default signature) and I can always do a spell check.  Depending on your version of Outlook will depend on what options you have available and how you have your options set will determine the "format" and spell checking.

I've used Eudora in the past and a lot of folks don't like Outlook for security reasons but I've been running with it for a couple of years and as long as I keep my Norton updated and don't open attachments from folks I don't know, I haven't had a problem.

Make sure you set Outlook to NOT automatically open executables....that's the main problem with Outlook's security issues....more often than not the executable is the problem rather than attachments, although they can be a problem as well.

Kelly C. Hanna
www.hannawoodworks.com