If the timing chain moved, the engine will probably "sound" a little
different while cranking it over.  Also, from your sequence of events, it
sounds like the car was idling (or at least low-speed/low-load) when it
died.

You didn't mention what kind of distributor you had.  I had an incident a
couple years ago with my HEI and an Accel Super Coil, which was less than a
month old at the time.  One of the coil's wire's insulation crumbled off
inside the cap and it started grounding out internally.  I was driving the
car on a long-ish trip and during the drive back it started running poorly.
I finally pulled off on the side of the road to check it out and it wouldn't
fire again.  (when I say running poorly, the engine was needing a full 1/4
throttle just to maintain 55 MPH on flat land).  Swapping the coil fixed it.

If you doubt the ignition switch, that should be easy enough to bypass with
some aligator clips for testing purposes.  Run power directly to the coil
from the battery, and crank the engine over.

Remember, the car was running fine right before things went south, so the
likelihood that it's something major is low.  Maybe it's also possible your
mechanical pump just happened to die and that getting it to start while
fiddling with the timing was a stroke of good luck?  Ya gotta have fuel and
spark, so I'd check those things first.

-Dave,  [EMAIL PROTECTED]