What is the benefit of upgrading to a high torque starter?
Thanks
Michael

-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]] On Behalf Of richard a
schaefer
Sent: Sunday, February 24, 2002 8:17 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: [Chevelle-List] Upgrading to a factory high-torque starter?

There is a "stock" GM hi-torque starter.    Unfortunately I don't know
the specific application where you can go to a parts store & get one off
the shelf.    It is different than the stock version by a connection
from
the battery post of the solenoid into the starter body.  You can see
pictures below.  The first is definitely stock GM - not ure about the
summit/sallee.

http://my.stratos.net/~killerklown/Sale/

http://www.sallee-chevrolet.com/Proform/images/66268d.jpg

http://store.summitracing.com/global/images/prod/norm/SUM-G1665_m.jpg

A standard starter does not have this connection.  I went to a starter
rebuild shop and the counter guy knew exactly what I needed.  I did one
more search & found this at  www.advanceauto.com
http://www.partsamerica.com/product_images/img/pt/ATR3560S.jpg      I
looked for a starter for a 1970  402 chevelle.  The connection is very
obvious in this picture.    If its a stock type GM starter & doesn't
have
this connection, it is not a high torque version.   Their price is
$58.00
I paid about the same.

rick schaefer
72 El Camino     http://members.home.net/jimmy4/rick1972elky.html