I would remove the current MC.  Make sure to bench bleed the NEW MC.  Install
new MC. Bleed brakes.
Every year or two I replace the brake fluid in my 70.  If you are lucky your
car will gravity drain itself.  I crack the bleeders loose and let the fluid
flow(keep and eye on the MC(don't let it run out of fluid).
Walt

>===== Original Message From [EMAIL PROTECTED] =====
>Replies to this message are sent to The Chevelle Mailing List
>
>I am getting a new master cylinder for my 1970 chevelle....its disk front
drum rear.
>to put it on what is the best way to drain the fluid that was in the old one?
bleed the brakes?
>and will the new one just bold on? Is this something I can do and be sure at
120 the brakes will be there? :)