From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]On Behalf Of
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Monday, March 11, 2002 7:27 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Fwd: [Chevelle-List] questions on b-body cars

 BJ?

-----------------------------------

Ball-joint.  Get your mind out of the gutter!  ;-)

Since there has been constant interest in this topic, this is the parts list
I compiled *after* I finished doing my conversion to 12" brakes, using
Hotchkis stuff.  Sorry the readability is not the best.  I'm cutting and
pasting from an excel spreadsheet I keep.  I bought everything at my local
Murray's auto parts store (chain), except where noted.

11" brakes from a 70-81 F-body will work too.  You use the spindle and all
the related parts (rotor, caliper, bearings, dust shields, etc).  Everything
else is the same.

As for the ball joint specifically, my instructions from Hotchkis stated
which lower ball joint to buy and that the base had to be machined down
x-inches to fit the A-body lower control arm.  The alternative was to buy a
pre-machined ball-joint directly from Hotchkis for $60.  I chose the latter
to keep matters simple.

Spindles for 12" brakes: Junkyard/parts car '86 Cadillac Full Size (GM
B-Body)

Rotors for 1LE Camaro: 85994 (NAPA) (12", with proper 5 x 4 3/4" bolt
pattern)

Inner Wheel Bearing: A3

Outer Wheel Bearing: A6

Grease Seals: ??

Calipers: '86 Caprice (w/ HD brakes)

Brake Pads:     86 Caprice (w/ HD brakes)

Disc Brake Dust Sheilds: GM 344023, 344024

Master Cylinder: 70 Chevelle w/ Disc Brakes (I'm using it W/O a
power-booster)

Brake Hoses: Wagner F98912

Caliper Pins: ??  off the rack from Murray's -- very common part

Proportioning Valve & Bracket: Master Power Brakes (disc/drum)

Lower Ball Joint: Hotchkis 1155

Outer Tie Rod: Moog 2033RL -- note, Hotchkis lists different outer tie-rod
numbers for 64-70 cars, and another for 71-72.  This is the 64-70 number.
Also, if your inner/outers are on backwards, like mine were, it'll really
add to the frustration factor until you figure it out.

Hope this helps some people out.  This is a very do-able swap, although it
may seem a little daunting when you start.  The results are TOTALLY
WORTHWHILE.  I can't say this enough.

-Dave,  [EMAIL PROTECTED]