I cut out a 6point bar and welded an 8 point cage in my 70.  The cage was
created using custom bent seamless dom pipe.  I could not used my arm rests on
the doors with either bar.  I dropped the cage pipes in front of the dash
instead of going through the dash.  My car is not difficult to get in/out of
but the window net attaching point has left more than a few scares on my head.
 If I were doing it again I would buy a bender, notcher, and bend the pipe
myself.  If you have a friend that wants a cage as well then it would be
cheaper.
Walt