>>>CFM=(Max RPM) x (CID) x (VE) / 3456.

I've seen that formula as well and while nice in theory, it doesn't relate
to real life but it's a starting point.  In Craig's case (mine as well since
I've had essentially the same engine), at 5500 RPM (realistic[?]) x 396 CID
x 80% (if lucky) / 3456 = a 500 cfm carb.  Given an additional 15%-20% that
still comes to a 600 cfm carb.

Before I put the injection on, my engine was 404 cid, a mild COMP cams 268
grind, headers and good ignition.  I always had good luck with the Holley
3310-x series right out of the box.  A 750 cfm vacuum secondary carb that is
very streetable on an Edelbrock Performer 2-O intake.  I think I changed
primary jets up/down one size for comparison and depending on the time of
year the throttle response was a bit crisper going down one size.

Since putting the 1000 cfm injection on I'll never go back to a carb again.
Having said that, if Craig's car is going to be a nice cruiser with
occasional WOT operation, I'd vote the 3310-x series.  If it's going to be a
"street racer" (that is, a bit more aggressive), then a 700 or 750
double-pumper would be in order.

Everyone has their own method to their madness but the Holley 3310-x series
is still a pretty good starting point.  Never used an Edelbrock carb and
many people swear by them so that may be an option as well.

Dale