i vote for johns way
--- Begin Message ---
Good point. I forgot about watching the timing mark on the vibration damper,
which is why I recommended the straw technique. However the vibration damper
method does not work if the damper is slipping, so keep that in mind. If the
straw reached the top when the damper is not pointed at TDC, then your
damper is slipping. In any case, you don't have to pull the valve cover.
Just stick a cork on the #1 spark plug hole and you will know you are on the
compression stroke when the cork pops out, because that is the only time
that both valves are closed while the piston is coming up.

John Nasta
Old Car Network
http://oldcarnetwork.com