There is no reason to fill the entire area. The old fashioned way is to put
some grease on the palm of your hand, and squish the bearing onto it to
force the grease into the seams around the edges. You basically have to make
sure that the grease has been pushed in and forced out of pretty much every
possible place (top & bottom, inside & outside). There is a tool that will
pack the bearings for you as well, but I have never used nor seen one.

John Nasta