Gee whiz.  Nobody?
----- Original Message -----
From: Bill Bruyn
Sent: Saturday, May 04, 2002 11:03 PM
Subject: Re: [Chevelle-List] A little help, please...

Update:

Got tbe #8 cylinder to respond to removal of the plug wire.  In case anyone's interested, I had relocated the PCV to a manifold vacuum source shared by the #8 runner - which killed the fuel signal.

Also swapped intakes, adjusted valves, replaced points, cap, rotor, coil, plugs, wires, vacuum advance, and probably some things I'm forgetting.  She runs significantly better after repeated attempts at tuning, but still not quite right.  Still have some intermittent missing at idle and hesitation/bog (and the occasional backfire thru carb) at aggressive acceleration.  Closing the choke blade part way eliminates the bog condition.

Oh, and there's this noise under load that's driving me nuts, too.  It's hard to describe - sort of a whine that comes and goes as you take your foot on and off the gas.  I don't know where it's coming from, and as far as I can tell, it only happens when the car is moving.

Some of the relvant specs:

"Mild" 327 (I don't have specifics on cam, pistons, etc.) w/ Goodwrench 350 heads
Edelbrock 750 CFM Quadrajet (#1901) w/ .069 main jet
Edelbrock Performer RPM (#7104)
Stock points ignition

12* static + 8* full-time vacuum advance = 20* initial advance
31* dwell
Splitfire SF2E plugs, gapped to .035 (Note that this is not the heat range recommended by Splitfire)

Compression readings are ~140, 142, 145, 140, 150, 150, ~148, ~148 on numbers 1, 3, 5, 7, 2, 4, 6, 8, respectively
Steady vacuum at idle except when missing / surging (variation of ~.5 inches)

I could use some help here, gang.  Running out of ideas.

Thanks,

Bill