I don't think that mounting the M/C on the firewall will get a good bleed.  In its mounted position, the cylinder is not level.  Air will be trapped in the nose high end.  You won't be able to get all of the air out.

The M/C needs to be mounted in a vise so it is level and then bled as Tom explained. In my limited experience, the couple of MC's that I have done included instructions for bench bleed.  One even included the hoses/tubes.  BTW - a parts stores will have the hoses for a couple of dollars if not included.
rick