I don't have a service manual, but I'm hoping someone else on the list does...  Anyone?

It is a posi rear axle, so I think I'll jack up the whole rear-end tomorrow evening and try spinning it to see if the bearing feels rough as it spins.
----- Original Message -----
From: John Nasta
Sent: Tuesday, May 28, 2002 10:42 PM
Subject: RE: [Chevelle-List] Outboard axle bearing going out?

Unfortunately I don’t know what the spec is. Do you (or somebody on the list) have a service manual? What happens if you jack up the rear and turn the back wheel by hand? Do you notice anything unusual at all? Is it a posi rear? If so, maybe you can have somebody else hold one wheel while you turn the other back and forth and check for play that way. Rear wheel bearings are pretty inexpensive and pretty easy to change. It's worth a shot just to prove if that is (or is not) the problem.

John