Tim,
When did the knock start? Does the engine run rough? Does it knock at all
engine speeds, more at idle, more on acceleration or more on deceleration?
There are only a few things that will typically cause an engine knock. The
most common being 1. a rod 2. a main 3. piston slap 4. carbon build up 5.
fuel pump (mechanical) & 6. timing chain.
With the engine running, pull one plug wire at a time & see if the knock
stops. If it does, it's most likely a rod bearing or piston slap. It will at
least tell you whick cylinder is the problem. If the knock doesn't change
with any of the plug wires removed try the fuel pump. Providing you have a
mechanical fuel pump, remove the pump & run the engine with a little gas
down the carb (be careful). If the knock stops then it's fuel pump related.
Get a good engine stethoscope & listen to the engine running & try to
pinpoint the knock. If it's coming from the area of the timing chain cover
it's either the chain or the fuel pump cam.
The knock could be a bent valve or carbon build up but usually this will
cause the engine to run rough. A compression check should show a bent valve.
Hope this helps,
Don

> First off, its a 454. I have a knock in it, and I cant think of anything
else to check to see if its gone bad. Ive checked the push rods, the timing
chain, rod bearings, crankshaft bearings, and wrist pins. My timing was
retarted, and it was quiter, When adjusted correctly with a timing gun and
everything, The knock is alot louder. When the timing is retartded, it
sounds like its on the drivers side, towards the rear, but when in the right
timing spot, loud, and cant tell what side its on. I ran a compression test,
lots of compression, and it has lots of oil pressure. Any suggestiongs would
be greatly appreciated.