My alternator on my 71 went south yesterday and I replaced it with another
SI type alternator as was on the car.  My question is what happens when you
have an internally regulated alternator and still have the external
regulator hooked up.  I found that a previous owner had done this and its
been working since I bought the car.  I am aware of the Tech article on the
conversion (cut and splice) but if this will work  no need to cut off the
plug and do the splice job.  Especially if I decide to go all original again
some day.  Input any one?

Also any listers sell the rubber boot that covers the wire that goes to the
battery terminal on the back of the alternator? I don't want to buy a little
part and get hosed on shipping and handling from one of the big resto.
places.  I know it's a GM part I just don't have the part number to get it
locally.