Great story.   I bet there are a lot of folks who wish they could retrieve a chevelle
from their past.
rick
--------- "John Nasta" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

From: "John Nasta" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "Chevelle List" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: [Chevelle-List] Ed Ford's 64 Malibu
Date: Fri, 21 Jun 2002 02:05:47 -0400

I had a business trip to Philadelphia today, and I stopped by a customer's
house on the way back to deliver a large order. This is a story that some of
you guys will really appreciate. Ed is the only guy I have ever met who sold
his car and managed to get it back many years later (like 10+ by the way he
was talking about the age of some of the restifications and when *he* did
them). Anyway, Ed has a super cool 64 Malibu. It was taken off the frame
years ago, a roll cage was installed, and it was tubbed. The rear was
narrowed so that the quarters did not have to be cut at all. He also
installed a new tranny tunnel (heavy duty). Ed raced the car back then,
until he sold it to another guy who also raced it for many years. Ed
recently got the car back (sans drivetrain). Ed still has all the original
moldings, including the very elusive non-SS side body moldings. It has
recently been repainted white (nice job too) and will soon get a red
interior (except the seat, which is black and is set up for a 5-point
harness). Ed is doing a complete cosmetic resto on the exterior, including
all new and restored trim, and he is making the car street legal this time.
As you can imagine, this is a real PITA because so much original stuff is
gone (like the entire interior, dash, steering column, wiring, etc). This
car is going to be a very mean street car though and I'm sure Ed also plans
on taking it down the track a few times. The body & paint work are excellent
and Ed is saying that the drive train will probably end up including
nitrous, because he doesn't want to put a blower on it. I hope some of you
guys get to see this car and meet Ed some time. He is a cool guy with a
serious 64 Malibu, and you hear so often about guys wishing they could find
the car they once had and buy it back, so here's a guy that did and is
bringing it back in his own way.

John Nasta

rick schaefer
72 El camino