Dave

How bad is the howl in the rear and what gears are you running.  I have 4.10's in my 70 that are in dire need of replacing because the guy that set it up slapped it together for a drag car.  The gears howl so bad that I cannot hear myself think until the car reaches 70 mph and then it goes away.  It is not there under acceleration, only at constant speeds.  If they are howling that bad, chances are the gears are shot and reshimming them could make it worse as it did mine.  I tried repeatedly to reshim it and I even got it to where it should be and it made it much worse.  I went and got a new set of 3.73 gears, now it is just a matter of me putting them in.

Tom
70 Chevelle SS