tom
  I'm not gonna bet the farm, and heavens knows at my age I can't be sure about much of anything.  But it seems that over the years its been discussed at Chevelle tech and  the consensus was that the 400 small block never made it to a chevelle - at least thru  72.    I checked the engine codes for 69-72  at the Index of Years at www.chevelles.com and couldn't find anything for the 400.  Also Dan Carrs 68-72 Production poster does not show a 400 except for the 70 Monte Carlo.

I agree with everything else you are saying.  Also in searching the archive at TC I found that there was a 4 bbl 400 in the impala.  I posted a question about this at Chevelle Tech, I can be convinced so we'll see.
rick