Mark
    Sorry to hear about your bad luck, especially when its so expensive.
      Soft shifts in a 700r4 are a typical symptom of a misadjusted TV cable.  Are you
sure it was adjusted correctly?  And I don't know how or why it would effect the T/C??
   For more on the 700 read some of the info here:
http://links.chevelles.net/links/WorkShop/Manual_Auto_Tranny/   And I don't know how
you'd convince the builder to repair it.  From his point of view, how does he KNOW how
long it was run.  Good luck, I hope that he will work with you on it.
rick
---------- "Mark Weber" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

I need some opinion from some other people about a problem I have with the
transmission in my 71 BBC SS I am restoring.

The background: Bought rebuilt TH700r4 that was built to stand high
horsepower and torque during summer of 2001, installed into frame and it sat
for about 1 year.  Did not get the body on the frame until spring 2002, and
did not get the car on drivable (hood on, aligned, insured etc) until June
2002.  With only 150 miles on the car, the torque converter blew up during a
2 - 3 shift last Friday and pumped metal through the trans.  During the
previous 150 miles, the shifts were pretty soft.  It has shift kits and many
other components that were supposed to give it a good firm shift.  A trans
shop I talked to this week said a weak pump would cause low pressure and
mushy shifts.  I suspect that was a problem too.

The problem:  The company I bought it from says that's too bad.  The
warrantee was 6 months and they have to stick to this.  They offered to
rebuild it and put parts in for cost and go easy on the labor charges if I
ship it to them, 2000 miles away.

I am not an unreasonable person.  I halfway understand where they are coming
from with having to draw a line somewhere.  Does anybody else have a similar
experience with a problem that showed up later due to a long restoration
time period?  Or, is this just bad luck and that's the way it is?

I don't think I got anything in writing about starting the warrantee once
the car is drivable.  I will check my email box at work tomorrow though,
maybe there is something there.

I have not talked to the owner of the place yet. But the guy I did talk to
supposedly got his instructions from the owner.

Guess I need to whine to somebody.  Bummed because I can see the first 150
miles I put on the car ending up costing $6.67 per mile for transmission
repair alone

Does anybody have any advise?

Thanks for listening.

Mark