Craig,
      I just recently installed a set of gauges in my 65. Assuming you are using a voltmeter, ( - ) goes to a good ground point, and ( + ) goes to any 12VDC positive connection that is hot when the car is turned on. ( I used my radio circuit ). If you are using an ammeter, I have no clue, never really seen a point in those. Take it easy.

Dan McIntosh
65 Malibu