Gents,
       I know this one. It's weird, but true..I know because I have one!

In the beginning of the 80's GM started buying "New Process" trannies
from Chrysler and made the 4th gear in these trannies less than a 1:1
ratio to improve gas milage and I assume to meet the new tougher federal
fuel economy requirements. Just a guess on why here. So the bolt pattern
fits on GM engines and supposedly this thing will swap out straight with
a TH350 because they are the same exact length when all is said and
done...or within a 1/4 inch or so, from what I have read.

In any case, up until somewhere between the mid and late 80's these 4
speed trannys were used in the Chevy Trucks. They are obviously beefier
in at least some respects than a car tranny. How much and in what ways I
am not sure, not an expert on them here, but I do have some resources on
the net bookmarked on them.

I have that same exact bellhousing or I might be bidding on that one. I
bought it for the fact that I was told it was a stronger tranny AND the
fact that 4th gear is an overdrive....will make for better mileage on
long trips to car shows. I don't have mine in yet, and have yet to find
someone that have put one in and has used it yet. Several are in the
process of doing so however.

I find it interesting because the 396 engine I bought came out of a
truck as well. Now all I need is a truck posi unit for the rear and I
can really "HAUL" in my Chevelle :)

                                            Steve