From: H. Kwakkel [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Wednesday, September 11, 2002 1:07 AM
To: Chevelle List
Subject: [Chevelle-List] not really chevelle, but chevy drag power

Next to restoring my chevelle, I'm also a mecanic in Team ProStreet
Dragracing. We race a 1999 Chevy Monte Carlo ProMod, with 632 Donovan engine
(built by Pat Musi).
The last races we did we had a lot of problems with detonation and so burned
a lot of pistons. (burned 8 pistons in 1st elimination round in the European
Finals at SantaPod, Engeland).
We have two ideas how this could happen.
1. Change in fuel. We use C23 VP fuel, but changed to another barrel half
this season, same time as the problems started. Can I test octane number?
2. Because the stroke is relatively big, the pistons comes out of the boring
for 1/2 - 3/4 in most lowest position. The bores are not changed for the
last two years. Could the bores be oval so the piston play is bigger and it
takes oil up, which causes detonation?

Any input is appriciated!

Because this is not chevelle related maybe responses offlist.

Thanks
Henri
'66 Malibu 230
The Netherlands