on 10/1/02 11:33 AM, Craig A. Ellis at [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Has anybody got their number books handy? There is a tailshaft for a Muncie
> on Ebay at the moment and the seller is in my neighborhood. He says it is a
> 1970 vintage. I've got a 70 but the tailshaft accidentally got swapped out
> with one from a '65 Vette many years ago when it was in for a rebuild. The
> tailshaft that came with the car is long gone (no one cared about such
> things back then) but this one might be a nice number matching part for me.
> The number is 3857584. Can anyone look it up and tell me if it's a 1970?
> Also, how much should these cost?
>
> Thanks
>
> Craig Ellis

The "584" extension housing was used on all '70-vintage Muncie four-speeds
except the M22, when used in Chevelles.  The M22 installed in Chevelles
utilized a large output shaft, and an appropriately different housing:
casting #3978764.  Cost?  Depends on location, how badly you want it, and
how badly the seller want to past with his "treasure."  I'd say between
$25-$50 would be the going price.  Hard to say with all the "idiots" bidding
on ebay, though.  Price could get unrealistic...

Chuck