> From: On Behalf Of Craig A. Ellis
> Subject: RE: [Chevelle-List] Re: Ground Up follows trend
>
> Having been in the mail order business many years ago, I can
> tell you that shipping charges ARE a "profit center". The
> overcharging is deliberate and is designed to help make up
> for underpricing your merchanidise.

I actually have no problem with a merchant using shipping as a profit
center, as long as they can tell me exactly what shipping will be, in
advance.  My problem is when they can't tell you shipping until the item
has shipped.  Maybe if they guaranteed that shipping charges would be
actual and verifiable, with no added costs for overhead, then I might
accept this.

Most merchants know their shipping costs well enough to allow
calculation of shipping in advance, and if doing it on a percentage of
sale price works well enough, fine.  At least you can compare costs with
the others, and if I can look at the sum total and compare, I'm happy.

Brad Waller     ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
'66 Corvette | 327/dead | 4-speed   | Wilwood Brakes | 245/45/16 BFGs
'67 Chevelle | ex-SS396 | 355/700R4 | '79 F-Body Brakes