I think the quality of plastic parts is determined by the quality of the
mold, the accuracy of the math data the mold was built from, the quality
of the resin used in the processing, and the skill of the processor.
Mostly it is the mold and the math data. The problem is that resin
shrinks when it cools so the mold is actually a tad larger than the
finished part. It is an art figuring out exactly which dimensions will
shrink how much and adjusting the tooling to anticipate that. Also, when
the resin changes - even a little bit - the shrink rate changes. So
changing suppliers or adding a bit more regrind alters the results. Add
in "tolerance stacking" and you can see that errors can build up
sometimes to the point that fit & finnish suffer. Finally, tooling is
expensive as stink. When a manufacturer gets "close" it is often good
enough just because making any more changes to the tool might burn their
profit for a year. All this is true for the stamping industry as well -
just different details - but the tooling and material behavior issues
are all there. Getting an OEM quality part takes a LOT of money and
genuine expertise. That's why the fit & finnish on a Lexus is better
than a Camry. It's more than "appointments", it's refinement. When I had
my Chevelle "dimensioned" the frame guy said the book called for
anything within 5/16ths of an inch as "square". An Infinity or Lexus or
MB is, according to him, dimensioned to within 1/64th on many
measurements and nothing less than 1/32nd. Imagine that degree of
accuracy throughout the car...that's what you get for $65,000: An
accurate $30,000 car.