In the Jegs book, it says to use self aligning rockers, yet I don't see any listed. What are self aligning rockers? Is this another term for roller rockers?

Dan,

  There are at least two different styles of the self aligning rocker arms.  The roller rockers - have the addition of a thin washer on each side of the roller tip.   The washers keep the rocker arm centered on the valve, which allows the rocker arms to be used without guide plates (in fact, I believe they warn "DO NOT USE GUIDE PLATES W/SELF ALIGNING ROCKER ARMS" - can cause the valve train to bind !!!).  The stamped rocker arms - are stamped with sides that cradle the valve tip on each side.  Once again, no guide plates.

  When you think about it, it is really a neat idea.  You don't need guide plates, which means you don't need the hardened pushrods.  By the way, do not disregard the warning about "must use hardened pushrods with guide plates"....ask me how I know. :)

Kent
68 Malibu ZZ502/502
ACES #5102