-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]] On Behalf Of Tim Moebes
Sent: Tuesday, November 19, 2002 9:20 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: RE: [Chevelle-List] Anti-lock brakes & air bags in Chevelles

Steve,

The only source for self-contained airbag systems that I know of comes
from Breed. A quick Google search found their website at:

http://www.breedtech.com/products/air_bags.htm

I recall reading an SAE paper on one of their systems that fits entirely
in the steering wheel assembly. If I remember correctly, they used a
mechanical sensor to detect collision. I don't know whether they would
have an application suitable for your vehicle, but their website is
probably the best place to continue your search.

As an aside, I am a mechanical engineer and I investigate and
reconstruct motor vehicle collisions for a living. I love my '66 El
Camino, but I must confess that the safety aspects of the car are my one
nagging concern. For instance, I may need to put in a collapsible
steering column. I remember one case where the steering wheel of a
mid-sixties full-sized Chev wound up in the rear seat after a
substantial frontal impact, much to the detriment of the driver.

Drive safely!

Regards,
Tim Moebes

-