Steve

I welded a trunk pan in my 70, and quarter skins on both my 70 and my 69.  What I did with the trunk pan was ovelay it about 1/2" all around, welded it in, then seam sealed it on both sides and painted it.  No rust coming through going on 3 years in the 70.
I did the 1/4 panels on each car in a similar fashion.  I cut the old one off, did some fitting and cutting many times, and eventually made the replacement skins slip under the old, and tached it in a few places, then went back and stitched it up.  No rust coming through the 1/4's in 3 years on the 70 and none yet on the 69.  The welds were simply covered with filler and no problems.
I would say as long as you coat the finished weld with POR-15 or something else like Eastwood's Corrless then seam seal the whole thing, you will be just fine.  Hope this helps!!

Tom