Sent: Tuesday, November 26, 2002 7:57 AM
Subject: Re: [Chevelle-List] Horn Relay Question

John, first be sure you have a good connection at the junction block. The wire you are asking about, if it is red it goes to the alternator.(BAT.) If it's black it's a ground. There seems to be some controversy as to the rag joint. We had this before. Some seem to think that a wire has to connect the 2 sides of the rag joint for the horn to work. I have never been able to prove this. Looking at the schematic the horn is grounded inside the car through the body.
Some have said that tying the rag joint with a wire was the only way to get their horn to work. I think it was because they didn't have the proper ground in side the car. The spring holds the steering wheel off the canceling cam on the '66 and is part of the horn ground from the steering wheel to the mast. It's called a horn relay but if it was bad a whole lot of other things wouldn't work. Look at your schematic and you'll see all the other areas it supplies power to.
Rich
"66 Malibu
ACES # 5066