Not Chevelle related, but thought you guys would find this interesting. I'm not on the original mail list, but this mail was forwarded to me at work. If the link doesn't work for anyone, I have a copy of the MP3 saved locally I can send on request. Enjoy! ---Eric Senior

Date: Thu, 26 Dec 2002 10:13:46 -0800
From: Jim Bowen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Fwd: Stupid pet tricks...Happy Holidays!

Found a copy here:
  http://www.tauzero.co.uk/other/Chauffe2.mp3

To: "MG-TABC" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
From: "mrbadger" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Mailing-List: list [EMAIL PROTECTED]; contact [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Date: Sat, 21 Dec 2002 16:35:33 +1300

http://astro.temple.edu/~kmr/Chauffe2.mp3

....at least it's more entertaining than most. Read below then click the link above.

First you'll hear a 10-cylinder, 750 horsepower Asiatech F1
engine being warmed up. Then it performs a rousing version
of "When The Saints Come Marching In", to the delight of
assembled pit staff and journalists.

Here's how the magic was achieved (technical/musical details
via F1 Racing magazine):

As we all know, a V10 engine produces five combustions per
revolution at a frequency per second of 60/(5 x revs per
minute), which equals 12/rpm. Therefore, to work out the
revs you need to hit a particular musical note, you multiply
the note's frequency by 12. To play a 440Hz 'A', for example,
you need 5,280rpm. For 'C', use 3,139rpm, for 'F' 4,191rpm,
and so on.

Asiatech's French technicians (the engine, despite its name,
is derived from a Peugeot design) simply programmed their
engine to run through the various rev/note ranges in the
correct sequence. The result is delightful.

A Merry Christmas to all from the Badger in Kiwiland