Well the old rule of thumb is 10 psi of oil pressure for every 1,000 rpm... so 10 psi is definitely on the edge. If you forget the oil gallery plug explain in the earlier message... I believe you will have zero oil pressure or darn close.

First off you said this is a new autometer gauge right? Is it mech or electric? If it is mech then make sure the line isn't kinked or crushed. If it is electric I would try a new sender. Another question... what oil filter are you using? Frams are notorious for pressure drops and most cheapie filter can cause similar problems. Swap on a wix filter and see what happens. If all that is good it is time to do some investigating.... and that investigating isn't fun. You are gonna need to pull the oil pan. How ever you go about it... in the car with the motor jacked up or pulled out... you will want to check out the main bearings and a couple rod bearings to check for wear. Check to make sure oil pickup is clogged with crude, metal or rtv. Make sure it is adjusted right and is welded... otherwise the pickup can fall to the bottom of the pan and cut off oil flow. Make sure it is the right pickup for the pan. You may want to replace the pump and pickup as a precaution if all else looks good. Last objective would be doubtful but pull the cam and check out it's condition as well. Most likely it will be crude in the oil pickup, the wrong oil pickup, or worn crank bearings. Good Luck

Mikey

----- Original Message -----
From: Ken's Email
Sent: Tuesday, January 07, 2003 4:44 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: [Chevelle-List] 383 Stroker Engine in 67 Chevelle=Oil Pressure too Low ???

I posted this on the Team Chevelle Tech List and seek additional inputs from Chevelle and other auto experts. Thanks.

<I have a 383 stroker engine in my 67 Chevelle. The engine has supposedly 2500 miles on it. I have also just put in new autoguage meters.

The issue is the oil pressure readings. When starting at cold, the pressure is up around 40 plus. At warmup if I am driving it the 40 to 60 mph  range, the oil pressure is in the 30 to 35 range, usually staying around 32.

However, at idle the oil pressure is around 10 to 12 psi. Sometimes it drops to 8 psi. If you put it in neutral at a stop light from drive (I have automatic trans), it will climb back up to 12 psi at idle. If you put it in reverse at idle it drops to 6 psi.

When accelerating again from idle the oil pressure goes up in increments, based on speed, to 30 to 32 psi--where it remains constant.

My concern is the idle pressure. Is this oil pressure at idle too low and should it be higher ? Change oil pump or pick up tube ?

I have had conflicting opinions and seek addtional advice.

There is no blue smoke or knocking that I can detect at this time. Engine runs smooth and strong and I do not appear to be using or burning oil.

Thanks,

Ken McDee>

Do you Yahoo!?