Yes, absolutely avoid having the valve guides knurled; it's a short-term fix at
best.  New iron (stock to moderate rebuild) or bronze (high-perf) guide inserts
are the way to go.

Stainless valves are nice but if your old valves are in good shape and you're
not building a screaming monster you can re-use them or replace them with
regular steel OEM-style valves.  Since you're replacing the cam and lifters IMO
new valvesprings are a must; don't cut corners with your valvetrain.

Be careful you don't get a builder who insists on using only high-dollar parts,
even if your application doesn't call for them.  If you don't need stainless
steel valves or titanium 10-degree retainers, why pay for them?  Send the money
to me instead!  ;^)

Make sure the oil return passages in the cylinder heads are smooth and free of
casting flash.  Cleaning them up is a simple job that takes a couple of hours
with a Dremel or other rotary tool and is time well-spent; oil puddling on top
of the heads isn't doing anything to help your engine.

Brad O.