EFI in no way will put "undue stress" on the engine or make it run hotter but, it will make it run smoother & more efficently which tranlates into lower emissions and in most cases better MPG. The setup is costly and can be a hassle getting tuned in correctly but, you are rewarded with a very dependable, driveable and low maintence engine.