Joe, yes, this stuff does look great by itself, but eventually over time it WILL
absorb moisture like any other primer, i personally use DAR9000 black (over the top of
the dp for chasis), but it has a shine to it, GM makes a chassis black which they sell
by the quart or gallon, but I personally have not used it, so i can't say much for its
looks or its durability. it may be possible to add a flattening agent to the DAR9000
black, but i am not sure. where are you from?? maybe i could lead you to a paint shop
if you are in my area. perhaps the body man you spoke to meant to use this over the
bare steel first and then apply something over the top?? if you are not from my area i
could also supply you with a phone number of my local paint store who know their stuff
very well, it would be worth the small long distance fee. By the way if you use the
DAR9000 black, use the PPG hardener as well with it and the durability will then be
great!!!don't let them talk you into the generic har!
dener with this paint.
I would surely think any body shop would know that the DP product needs to be top
coated!! in fact i was at a seminar that had a PPG rep at it who did not recommend
this by itself- he said he had seen some street rods with it on, driving around in the
weather and he cringed. the DP line has changed recently due to the EPA - It used to
be DP40 (grey-green) DP90 (black) etc, now it is DP40LF which means lead free, and it
also does not have the acid etch it used to have, i don't remember which one you said
you used, but if it was the LF- the surface should have been etched with either a etch
primer or a metal prep- wash (metal prep 79) unless it was just sandblasted within 72
hrs then the DP or DPLF can go right on with out the prep.