I rebuilt a 396 325 hp engine for my 69 Chevelle SS last summer. I used heads off a 1973 Monte Carlo 454.  Over the winter, while starting the car I found that it was idling rough and backfiring through the carb and exhaust.  I know that my plug wire need replaced and I have a new set of Taylor but I need a friend of mine to cut them first.  When I removed the plugs I found that they were carbined up.  I was only able to put about 300 miles on the engine after the rebuild last summer before cold weather.
    My question should I use a hotter spark plug.  Would that help.  If so, the engine calls for Autolite number 145, I bought a number 147 but what would be the hottest I plug I could use. (Hope this is a valid question)

Craig
69SS