In a message dated 3/28/2003 11:14:15 PM Eastern Standard Time, [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

The 72 El Camino I bought a few weeks ago has a rear axle code of KDC 320 1.
This is a 12-bolt. According to my research, I have a '71 2.73 ratio,
non-posi track, built in Buffalo, on November 16th, 1970 1st shift. Can
anyone validate this?

Assuming the above axle code interpretation is correct, I have to assume
that the rear end has been replaced. (The Body Number Plate has the car
built on the 4th week of September, 1971, almost a year later). Now for the
problem. The left tire extends outside the wheel well by about 1". The right
tire is inside the wheel well about 2". It is skewed about an inch to the
left (driver's side). I have examined the upper and lower control arms in
place and they look straight. The bushings are very worn and need to be
replaced. There are gas shocks and the passenger side leaks making the car
lean to the right. I have thought that the bad shock might be causing some
of this skew and am thinking of jacking the rear up and putting it on jack
stands. Anyone have any suggestions on how to further examine this? Where to
take measurements from?

Thanks,

Larry

It was actually built Nov 16th, 1971.  KDC is a 71 code, not a 70.  So the rear was built 2 months later than the body of the car.  The general rule I heard is between 4-8 weeks to be correct for the car, someone correct me if I am wrong.
As for the wheel problem.  Have you checked the backspacing on the rims?  Another thing that can cause this is the body not being set square on the frame due to worn out body mounts.  The trailing arm bushings and shocks could also be a factor.  Hope this helps.

Tom