Kyle

There is no set width for the housing, it varies depending on the backspace
of the wheels.
There is no reason I can think of to have different width for 4 link over
ladder bars,sometimes the bars mount under the frame and sometimes inside it
but this only affects frame width not the axle width.
A word of advice, even if 34'' works it is my preference to put the wheels
as close to the fenders as possible maybe 1/2 to 3/4''. Tubbed cars don't
look right if the wheels are too far in unless they are really  really low
which involves cutting the trans tunnel. Also keep the frame rails as far
apart as you can for stability assuming you didn't get a pre-welded kit.

Kim Gough