Can anyone provide me with some symptoms if the HEI
coil is going bad?

Tonite, to solve my prob of my car running crappy, I
figured I'd start with the obvious and change my
plugs.  Yesterday I put new wires on it, and after
changing the plugs, the car will barely stay running
at the current idle settings.  A week ago it was
totally fine- For anyone not familiar with my engine,
it's a freshly rebuilt 327 with a brand spanking new
Edelbrock Performer 1406 carb.  It was running great,
I took it out for a 10 mile spin last Thurs nite, and
as of Sunday I am having all of the issues described
above.

I have checked all vacuum lines, and they are all
connected just as they were last week when it was
running fine.  I have also looked at the distributor
to make sure it didn't move, and it has not.

Could this be that my hand-me-down HEI is dying?
Would a dying coil cause the issues I'm having?

Thanks,

Jim
'66 Malibu