First, the background info...  I have a '71 Chevelle with factory A/C which worked up until a couple of years ago, when the compressor clutch quit engaging.  I know that the clutch itself is good -- it engages when I put 12V to it.  Since the time the A/C quit working, I swapped an SS dash and dash harness from a non-A/C car, but I tried to isolate and reconnect the wires pertaining to the A/C system.

Also, the harness connector on the back of my fan speed control switch keeps getting hot and melting the plastic connector.  I replaced the fan motor, but that didn't seem to fix it.

Now, searching for the solution...

I'm trying to troubleshoot the system, and I think there may be a good chance that the problem is in or around the heater/vent/AC controls in the dash.  Does someone on the list have a good understanding of how this control works?  Looking down on the control system from the top (with the dash pad removed), there is a contact on the left (driver's side) of the controls that is opened or closed whenever the top control lever is moved away from the "OFF" position.  There is another contact on the control unit which is located on the frontmost portion (the part of the controls which is deepest in the dash) which appears to be opened or closed when the top control lever is moved beyond the A/C range.

Can someone explain to me what each of these contacts do?

Also, coming from the first contact that I mentioned (the one on the driver's side of the controls), there is a single dark green or brown (can't tell for sure -- colorblind!) wire with a large plastic connector that I couldn't find anything to connect with on the new non-A/C harness.  This is currently not hooked up to anything.  Does anyone know the function of this wire or what it should be connected to?

Thanks in advance for all your help!
Galen