Sent: Tuesday, July 08, 2003 5:17 PM
Subject: RE: [Chevelle-List] Q: Windshield washer pump

Pelle,

I have been looking into replacing my washer pump also. Not sure if I have this all correct. First, there are two types of wiper systems. The hidden type has a motor that has a round "barrel" bottom (angled 45 degrees downward to the right when viewing the firewall from the front of the car). The non-hidden type has a rectangular looking motor. Each motor type has a different washer pump. As far as I can tell, all SS models have the hidden type of windshield wipers. My non-SS 72 Elky has hidden wipers also. I also see mention of "Demand" wiper systems. This system uses the same motor but has an additional relay (i.e. read different wiring harness) and uses a switch on the shifter handle. I am not sure this was an option on Chevelles especially those that have floor shifters.

Larry
72 El Camino