On Tuesday, August 19, 2003, at 09:23 PM, George Spatta wrote:

Hi all,

I'm getting ready to start cleaning the interior metal on my '66 and was wondering what kind of grinder (electric or pneumatic) and discs work good for taking off almost 40 years of crud? All the metal is rust free so I just need to get it clean for the POR15 or DP90 (haven't decided which way to go with that yet!) I have an industrial size air compressor  but haven't seen a lot of pneumatic grinders that look like they are big enough to do the job efficiently. I was hoping to find a pneumatic grinder smaller and lighter than most of the 4 1/2" electric ones I've used before. The 3M bristle discs look like they would work well, has anyone used those?

All opinions & recommendations are appreciated!

Back when I thought I was going to be able to handle the bodywork on my '67, I stripped the whole car. The 3M Clean and Strip discs (the thick, open weave discs) were the best. They strip anything. I used a few chemical strippers, sanding discs, and the 3M discs. Chemical stripping was nasty and cleanup was horrible, and it was slow. Sandpaper would fine, but it clogged very quickly and was not as efficient as the stripping disks. Do be careful as these discs are very good. I have some scratched windows (it just takes one brush past the window to gouge it badly), and you could scratch the metal. The fine disc might be better, so experiment on the floorpan.

I think the discs are called Clean-N-Strip, or something like that. I found a few links that look like the right stuff:

I think this is what I used because that was all they had back then:
http://eastwoodco.com/itemdy00.asp?T1=31095

But check out the other products:
http://eastwoodco.com/itemdy00.asp?T1=31094
http://eastwoodco.com/itemdy00.asp?T1=31195