First I would like to thank everyone who helped me change the pinion seal on
my 12-bolt.  I followed the directions and everything worked out as planned.
There are a lot of knowledgeable people on this list and I am glad they are
just as helpful and willing to assist restoration-rookies like me.
I have one small snag.  I used the gray colored Permatex ultra-gasket sealer
when I put the rear cover on.  It seemed a little runny when I applied it so
I let it set up a bit before I mated the cover with the rear.  It dripped
out a bit when I was tightening the bolts (I torque every other one evenly).
Well, I ate dinner and then went out to fill the rear.  Everything seemed
fine, so I went out for a short cruise....ya got to test it! I then cleaned
my floor, parked the car back in the garage and went to bed.  I found a 4"
puddle of fluid under the rear (toward the back this time) in the morning.
It was rather depressing, but I figure I just used the wrong type of sealer.
The gray stuff doesn't seem to like the differential lube at all.  The
question is, what would be the best sealer?  RTV blue? Black? Something
else?
Also, what type of lube do you recommend? Synthetic is more expensive than
the regular stuff.  Is it better?  My rear is equipped with Posi-traction in
case that matters.

Thanks,
Steve