-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] Behalf Of Galen and Melissa
Love
Sent: Monday, September 01, 2003 10:42 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: [Chevelle-list] suspension bushings - polyurethane, nylon?

Hey fellas, give me some input on suspension bushings.  I rebuilt my front
suspension a few years ago with Performance Suspension Technology's
"polygraphite" bushings.  These are polyurethane bushings which are
impregnated with graphite for lubrication.  I'm getting ready to rebuild the
rear suspension, but I haven't decided what bushings to go with yet.

If you've ever read the book "Chassis Engineering" by Herb Adams, then you
know that he doesn't recommend polyurethane suspension bushings because of
the need for the polyurethane to rotate against the metal bushing sleeves
combined with the fact that they are not greasable for ongoing lubrication.
He says that they will tend to bind preventing smooth operation of the
suspension system and causing the car's suspension to not always return to
it's equilibrium position.  I've noticed this a little bit on my Chevelle,
but not to any great extent.  I've also noticed some squeaking from the
bushings, but nothing too drastic or annoying.

He seems to like bushings using "nyliner" nylon iserts, but I haven't run
across anybody that sells them.  Has anyone used these "nyliner" bushings?
If so, what did you think and where did you buy them?  I get the impression
from the book that I could go to my local bearing supply house and buy the
nyliner inserts, but that I would have to custom-machine some steel sleeves
for them to be installed in.

Another interesting point - Global West also states that polyurethane
bushings tend to bind in the rear suspension.  They recommend using a
spherical bearing on the frame end and either polyurethane bushing or their
Del-a-Lum bushing on the rear end.

All right, guys...  Chime in and let me know what you think.

Thanks,
Galen