Morning......

Looking for some help, advice on my problem. I fianlly got my Chevelle out of the garage for a test drive and ran great. Went to re-start and got some chattering , tried again and started up. Back in the garage for more work went to start and same thing again. Originally I had shimmed it up , but then removed one of the 3 shims bolted it back in , started fine and then a few days later same thing again. The engine Iam running is a 350 from a '77 Chevy pickup. I put in a new battery thinking that was the problem, started great again and then back to this chattering. By chattering I mean as if the starter gear was just nmissing the flywheel. But its interminet, I checked my flywheel it shows signs of scraping. I purchased starter sheild thinking it was overheating the solenoid . Then bought a hot shot kit putting the solenoid on the firewall like the old Ford had , thats not installed yet. Today I will attempt to take out the other 2 shimms and see if that moves it closer to flywheel. Few of my questions is how do I measure the teeth on the flywheel under the car ?? Are starters different other than the nose ?? And is it possible this is not the right starter for this engine ? Originall I din't know what the engine came out of so we were using a starer from a Monte Carlo, Camaro 350 engine as a reference. But later found out the it came from a 77 Chevy Pickup. Would I need to get a starter that matches that year and cubes ?? You guys are the best so thats why I come here for help.......thanks much

John
66 Chevelle Malibu
Phila. Pa