Since there is no tranny support to keep the motor's oil pan from sitting on the cross frame, I was going to put a few blocks of wood to keep it more level.
Unless the wood is secured, it'll probably shake out & fall over.

Here is what I know:
        The battery cable goes to the big terminal on the starter.
        There are two connections on the starter.

The S terminal is what engages the solenoid to engage the starter-the other is 12v in start to the coil.

The distributor (Mallory HEI) needs hookup.

If it's HEI, then all you need is 12v to the BAT (or +) terminal --make it switched so you can turn the motor off.

So, with the above,
        Does the distributor(+) get hooked up to the smaller terminal on the
starter?
Nope

        The two ends of the push button starter switch gets hooked to the
two terminals on the starter?

Hook one end to the battery + and one end to the S terminal

Do I need the alternator hooked up for a few minute run?

Nope

BL